Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I'm Losing It!














Several years ago, right before I met my wife, I participated in a fitness challenge. At the time I was single, didn’t have a lot going on, and could really focus on the challenge. In 10 weeks I dropped somewhere between 35 and 40 pounds. Since then life has gotten a little wider for me and I have easily put back on the weight I lost and then some (like 60 pounds).

12 weeks before my 30th birthday last fall, I thought a fun little gimmick would be to try to lose 30 pounds by the time I turned 30. It didn’t work. In fact, I might have even gained a little. I don’t consider myself “fat”, but I am not where I want to be. I owe it to myself, to my wife, and especially to my kids to be as healthy as I can be and to be around as long as I can be.

As such, I have decided to take my goals to the inter-webs and post them here on my blog and on other forums and social media outlets that I currently use. I’m calling my challenge the “Losing It” challenge. This is not a crash diet and I have set no specific time table for when I want to hit a certain goal, I just know that things need to change, even if it is slow and steady.

So here’s what I’m going to do. I have started a workout routine that I will add to weekly. I am going to do my best to cut out sweets but for the weekends and special occasions. And, I am going to post my progress here once a month. For weekly updates, I will post a “Losing it” box on the right hand side of this blog and put my weekly weigh in results there.

One of the big challenges I will face in this is that eating healthier often requires the consumption of fruit. Which, outside Watermelon, I don’t eat, so if anyone out there has any healthy tips for me for good foods to eat, or good vitamins or nutrients, please let me know.

If you have been looking for motivation to improve your fitness or eating habits, you are welcome to follow my progress and post your own in my comments section. Or, if you want to just help motivate me, become a follower on this blog and keep tabs on my progress!

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. When you think of fruit do you think of only apples, oranges and pears? Because you could use this opportunity to seek out fruits you've never eaten before, like kumquats, and might even like.

    ReplyDelete